Sunday, April 10, 2016

Shakuita Johnson Exclusive Interview

I had the pleasure of interviewing this wonderful author! I am so blessed with my new job and I absolutely love it! My questions are bolded, her responses are italicized, and anything I add in between is underlined. I hope you enjoy!

Tell a little about yourself. (short bio)
Shakuita Johnson is a 31-year-old Psychology major. When she isn't going to school or working, she is doing what she loves most. Writing. She started writing in middle school. She would write poetry in her room or the middle of the night. Then she was introduced to short stories in a creative writing course her senior year. Her love for paranormal and supernatural started with R.L. Stine Goosebumps books and TV shows, Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles, and Christopher Pike books. She is an avid reader with over 100 books on her bookshelf and 1000 plus on her iPad. She also loved to watch Charmed and Buffy the Vampire Slayer with her mom.

I loved Buffy and used to watch it with my Mom growing up! :) I do not think there are any of the Goosebumps books that I haven't read. I have always been an avid reader and love to read new books.

What can you tell us about your books?
They are dark, sometimes expectantly funny, and I like to push the envelope. They are my own little fantasy worlds that I enjoy getting lost in. They are very different from anything out now. Especially my Dark Indiscretions series as they are told from the POVs of the villains. There are no heroes although they have moments of good.

When I read this, I think about a Facebook meme that I shared recently. As a child, we love Batman, but as an adult, we realize the Joker makes more sense. I am going to have to check out your Dark Indiscretions series, I would love to see what the twist of hearing from a villain's side-rather than a hero is like

What genre do you write and why?
Paranormal mostly because I enjoy getting lost in a world where the rules aren't black and white. I love all things supernatural and dark.

If a fiction writer, is any part of your book based on events in your life?
For the most part And So She Waited had a lot of myself in it. Feelings I've felt regardless of acting on them and just a lot of the emotional tone was from my life.

What was the greatest challenge you faced with publishing your work?
Not totally knowing what the fuck I was doing. I still don't know what I'm doing but I'm still pushing through. It's also a challenge because things are ever changing from one release to the next.

What are you currently working on?
Snap Shot a dark romance that is F/F with fellow author LM Adams. We both mostly write paranormal so this is a bit outside our comfort zomes but I'm not too worried. It still going to be dark and twisted the only difference is it's regular people and not supernaturals. Also work on a few short erotica pieces for fun.

Do you have an interesting writing quirk? Not that I've noticed. Mostly I write either in silence or with The Hobbit on in the background. But I can't write to music at all.

I can't write to music either, although I work and do everything else with music playing. When I am writing, I need to be zoned into what I'm writing and absolutely nothing else.


Do you have a favorite author or book?
Quee of the Damned by Anne Rice...every time I read it I find something I missed. The story of the twins and how vampires came to be is my most favorite thing to read.

At first, I thought I had read this book, but now I'm wondering. Maybe I need to read it again, too!

Describe yourself in three words.
Smart, funny, emotional

Thank you so much to Shakuita Johnson for taking the time to allow me to interview you. I know that you are extremely busy and ddin't really had time for me, but I appreciate that you made it happen. Also thank you to my friend and co-worker, Lisa Klass, who lent me her questions for interviews! Stay tuned for more interviews and interesting books.

Happy reading, everyonoe!



No comments:

Post a Comment